NT Service Update

From: Brian Gladman (brian.gladman@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 10:26:58 MET

From: Jeff Gilchrist <Jeff.Gilchrist@entrust.com>
To: "'ecdl-list@pauillac.inria.fr'" <ecdl-list@pauillac.inria.fr>
Subject: RE: NT Service Update
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:59:40 -0500

I was able to get the service code working fine but I have run into another
problem now. The service code I have written will compile using MS VC++ but
the ECDL code will only compile using CYGWIN. I can either try and port the
ECDL code to work on VC++ (which is a lot of work) or I can try to get the
service code to compile under CYGWIN gcc which seems possible. The Gladman
port I think will compile under VC++ but it is based on older code before
the HTTP stuff was added.

<BRG>

It has the http code in it and I am told this works. I use VC++ 6.0 for
development and it compiles with this and I would be happy to look at the
integration task if you wish (or provide advice on my code).

There is limited evidence on performance at the moment but it does do a lot
better on Pentium machines without MMX. It is worse on non-Pentium (e.g.
AMD) processors. APart from these observations we need more evidence.

Mary Beth Wirtz Osiecki has said it demands high proirity which is not
true - it gets IDLE priority but it inherits certain features from the
process and user that launches it so it might do well against other IDLE
processes under some circumstances. I am happy to change this behaviour
depending on what people want. I did not put it a low priority (but above
IDLE) because I have no reason to believe that it should have a priority
above IDLE.

    best regards, Brian Gladman