Re: more performance questions

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 17:52:50 MET

    Ian Wehrman wrote:
    >since moving to a 2.3.x linux kernel, i've noticed about a 50% decrease in
    >performance. [...] does anyone have suggestions?

    Ahem.

      Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
      Doctor: Then don't do it.

    =:-)

    Jesting aside, this suggests a problem with the kernel. As a guess,
    it may be reporting bogus time values. The ECDL program just does
    CPU-bound computation so the actual rate of iterations shouldn't
    change. Just possibly, your chip has a small cache and the new kernel
    is context switching like crazy with some other process which is
    fighting for the cache.

    Bye,
      Rob.