RE: Point Comparison

From: John H Lister (jlister@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:10:34 MET

    Daniel de Rauglaudre wrote: "If somebody uses the same saved.state in two different machines, the probability of error is 1. For ecdl8, I asked Rob to find something to avoid that."

    Dan Oetting wrote: "What is the expected completion time for the project and is there a followup project that will be able to use the same code base? I wouldn't
    want to spend too much time optimizing the code if the project will be over
    before I'm done."

    Just a thought: Certicom seems to have plenty of challenges out there that appear to have the same format. Given that the basic operations have been coded and optimized for different architectures, how much effort is it to change the code to generate distinguished points for a different challenge?

    If those who are expert at this sort of coding started working on prototypes now, then there should be a follow-up ready to go by the April timeframe which is a reasonable expectation for a match on the current challenge, based on what I can glean from Xavier's graphs, and the participants could just change one program for another. The benefit here is that we have a large participant base built up which wouldn't start to dwindle because of nothing to do!

    Which one is ecdl8? I couldn't find that in Certicom's list?

    John Lister