Re: Point Comparison

From: Daniel de Rauglaudre (daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 19:17:43 MET

    > > Rob looks at the new points every day. With 1/3 of 1.3 millions
    > > points, the chance of having found the solution is about 1/20.
    >
    > While we're at it : do you check that no two "machines" are on the same
    > track?

    No. Too complicated. People have to check that, when they see that some
    machine seems to be stopped, although it is not (the duplicated points
    are not registered).

    > Chances for that are theoretically infinitesimal, I think, but I
    > reckon that the probability is not negligible in practice, since it
    > is so easy to start two processes with the same "saved.state"...

    If somebody uses the same saved.state in two different machines, the
    probability of error is 1. For ecdl8, I asked Rob to find something to
    avoid that.

    --
    Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE
    daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr