Re: "NICE" client behavior

From: Mary Beth Wirtz Osiecki (osieckis@nji.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 00:08:32 MET

The Cygwin client does run *nice*, however the Gladman port that I have
been trying to benchmark does not. It doesn't interfere with critical
services but it does demand and get 80% of the CPU which I find
unacceptable behaviour in a background task.

By the way, everyone badmouths Windows scheduling, but I have found that
it does have about 8 levels that work. I'm basing this on running DNet
client with it's 10 levels of priority. (0 to 9) for a day at a time and
checking what %CPU it gets and how well everything works. At 9 everything
works but my WinModem seems to have more problems. 8 gets the same %CPU and
shows no ill effects. I've run all sorts of apps 32-bit, 16-bit, even DOS
without a problem. This is both under W95 and W98.