Re: Saving State

From: Daniel de Rauglaudre (daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 11:08:56 MET

    Hello,

    On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:08:18AM -0500, George Latkiewicz wrote:

    > I'd like to move a group of Windows machines from running ecdl under CygWin
    > to using the service version.
    >
    > This raises the question, should I copy my saved.state? If so, then how?
    > (Will just moving the file into the install directory do it?)

    Yes, move the save.state file from a machine to another one. Pay
    attention not to duplicate any of the save.state files in the new
    machines, every new machine must get a different save.state file,
    that's all. Then, in the new machines, the computation can restart
    from where it was left in the previous machine.

    > If this isn't necessary

    It is not necessary, but it would be sad to loose all this computation.
    The ecdl program compute several (typically 32) points in parallel, some
    of them taking a long time to be found, but when a long time is necessary,
    the point is better! Therefore, hidden in your save.state, are very
    important potential points.

    > Is the time or something similar used to seed the initial starting
    > point for each computer

    A lot of things are used, depending of the architecture. In Linux, there
    is /dev/random, but the program also uses the time and the process number.

    > (i.e. before "using the same pseudo-random way of stepping from one
    > random point to another")?

    When a point is found, there is no random to go to another line. Then,
    when two save.state files are used in two machines, the two machines
    compute exactly the same points, forever.

    --
    Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE
    daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr