Re: Mail load

From: Ian Miller (ecdl@bifroest.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 18:06:46 MET

    Xavier Leroy wrote:
    >Yes. We believe we can handle up to one mail per second, i.e. 80000
    >points per day. The machine cristal.inria.fr is an Alpha Server 1200
    >with two 400Mhz 21164 processors and 1 Go of RAM. The current load is
    >about 1.15, but this includes one ECDL client that accounts for a load
    >of 1 and we can turn it off if the load becomes too high.

    A little analysis of progress indicates that 80000 per day is very unlikely
    to happen. To a first approximation the point arrival rate is growing
    linearly at 375 points per day per day. (The recent holidays have somewhat
    disturbed things but the underlying trend looks linear to me.) At this
    rate it will take about 7 months to reach 80k per day. By this time we
    would (at the same growth rate) have over 6 times the expected necessary
    points and would expect to have about 40 matched pairs.

    To reach 80k per day before we have the expected necessary points requires
    about %5 per day exponential growth. This isn't happening and I don't
    think there is a realistic prospect of it happening.

    Accordingly unless we are much more successful in recruiting and unlucky in
    finding a match, Xavier's overload point won't get reached.

    Ian