Re: No new point in 15H of comput.

From: r_perrot@mail.club-internet.fr
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 16:17:04 MET

On 19 Déc, Xavier Leroy wrote:
>> My client find no new point since 15 hours.
>> Is it nomal or is there a problem.

After 30 hours I have got the magic sentence:
Distinguished point found at: Sun Dec 19 10:13:55 1999

I'm suprise since in 30 hours at a rate of 60000 iterations/second I
make 6.48e+09 iterations and the field 'itérations used' show only
2.3345e+08.

But the field 'iterations total' show 7.08757e+09 witch is ok since it's
only my second point.

> 15 hours? That's nothing! One of my machines worked *10 days* before
> hitting a distinguished point. Granted, that's an old Sparc 10 that
> delivers only 6500 points per second, but still...

My machine is ten time faster than this one so 10 days is one for me

> At the other
> extreme, another of my machines found two distinguished points in the
> same minute. Now, I just relax and trust the laws of probabilities
> to smooth everything out.

Do you meen that there is no limit to number of iteration we need to
find a distinguished point ?

Remi Perrot