Re: Best hardware?

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 21:09:58 MET

    > A basic PC with a Celeron chip definitely seems to be best performance/$
    > 400 MHz Celeron 140 k / $600 = 233 iters/sec/$

    The dual-Celeron systems that Sam Simpson mentioned easily beat this.
    A dual Celeron 466 should deliver about 300 k iterations/s and could cost
    less than $800 (assuming minimal configuration -- no monitor, low-end
    cards, etc -- and assembly by yourself). This translates to a
    whopping 375 i/s/$.

    The funny thing is that you'd still need 1000 of those babies to
    deliver the 20000 points/day that we currently achieve. So, the
    combined efforts of all ECDL participants is, in a way, equivalent to
    $800000 of the cheapest possible commodity hardware available today.
    (The actual cost of all the participants' hardware is certainly much
    higher.) The mind boggles.

    - Xavier Leroy