Re: Networked Computers

From: Dan Oetting (oetting@gldmutt.cr.usgs.gov)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 04:16:08 MET

    At 7:14 -0700 2/8/2000, Chuck and Angey Werninger wrote:
    >I have one PC and five Macs running ECDL on a LAN at work. Every day or so,
    >I go to each computer, change the name of the dist.points file, save it
    >across the network to the one PC and then manually dial up and submit six
    >batches of points. I see much larger computer networks submitting points
    >and I can't imagine the time it takes without a better method. I don't want
    >to submit duplicate points but also don't want to spend all the time if it's
    >not necessary. Is it possible for all of them to save to the same
    >dist.points file across the network automatically or am I already using the
    >best possible method?

    Have you tried creating an alias on the Macs pointing each dist.points file
    to the common directory on the PC? There is a very small posibility of two
    clients finding new points at the same time and colliding while trying to
    access the file. If anything does go wrong you can recover the dropped
    point from the stdout file and try something else.

    -- Dan Oetting <oetting@ghtmail.cr.usgs.gov>