Re: mail load

From: Xavier Leroy (xleroy@pauillac.inria.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 11:02:01 MET

> Since things are heading towards 10,000 points per day, this amounts
> to about 7 per minute. Now I know that a lot of people are using batch
> but if the rate keeps increasing is your mail server/connection/analysis
> going to handle the traffic. What if it gets up to 1 every few seconds?
> Have you looked into that rate can be handled?

Yes. We believe we can handle up to one mail per second, i.e. 80000
points per day. The machine cristal.inria.fr is an Alpha Server 1200
with two 400Mhz 21164 processors and 1 Go of RAM. The current load is
about 1.15, but this includes one ECDL client that accounts for a load
of 1 and we can turn it off if the load becomes too high.

More than 1 mail per second would be problematic, for our server as
well as for INRIA's main mail exchanger. If we ever get there, we'll
have to do something about it, e.g. encourage the use of the "http"
method, which puts a lower load on our server.

Season's greetings,

- Xavier Leroy